Feedback in audio esp wrt op-amps.
Eeyore
2007-08-19 15:39:55 UTC
There was part of a thread a while back about how adding negative feedback can
create higher order harmonic distortion products than exist open-loop in an
amplifier stage.

This made me think about the application of op-amps in audio generally. Negative
feedback is used primarily to linearise the transfer function and is used in
huge quantites as much as 80dB @ 1 kHz for example.

Since this amount of NFB is not required to provide an accurate gain setting, it
struck me that it's somewhat counter productive. If instead the open-loop
transfer characteritic was made more linear by degeneration of the open-loop
gain for example, when NFB is applied, the overall result should be largely
similar (i.e. no worse) but would presumably also suffer less from the creation
of these new distortion products .

Comments ?

Graham
William Sommerwerck
2007-08-19 16:43:55 UTC
Post by Eeyore
transfer characteritic was made more linear by degeneration of the open-loop
gain for example, when NFB is applied, the overall result should be largely
similar (i.e. no worse) but would presumably also suffer less from the creation
of these new distortion products .
Comments ?
That negative feedback linearizes the transfer function at the expensive of
adding higher-order harmonics has been long-known. What you say is perfectly
logical.

However, the presence of higher-order harmonics is not the only factor, but
their amplitude. Below a certain percentage (I'm sure Arny will be able to
tell us what that is), they're inaudible.

A good op amp can be used as a buffer and be sonically transparent, its
output indistinguishable from its input.
Eeyore
2007-08-19 17:47:27 UTC
Post by Eeyore
creation of these new distortion products .
Comments ?
That negative feedback linearizes the transfer function at the expensive of
adding higher-order harmonics has been long-known. What you say is perfectly
logical.
However, the presence of higher-order harmonics is not the only factor, but
their amplitude. Below a certain percentage (I'm sure Arny will be able to
tell us what that is), they're inaudible.
There's more than a little discussion about what level that is, and indeed it's
known that audibility varies according to harmonic number.
Post by William Sommerwerck
A good op amp can be used as a buffer and be sonically transparent, its
output indistinguishable from its input.
As a buffer it has 100% NFB and I hope that's the case.. As a gain stage with
say 40dB of voltage gain that isn't the case however.

Really, part of what I'm saying is that the classic op-amp isn't really the
ideal gain stage for audio circuits if you want to produce totally 'technically
blameless' performance.

Graham
William Sommerwerck
2007-08-19 21:42:03 UTC
Post by William Sommerwerck
A good op amp can be used as a buffer and be sonically transparent,
its output indistinguishable from its input.
As a buffer it has 100% NFB and I hope that's the case. As a gain stage
with say 40dB of voltage gain that isn't the case however.
Really, part of what I'm saying is that the classic op-amp isn't really
the ideal gain stage for audio circuits if you want to produce totally
"technically blameless" performance.
That's certainly true. But does it matter what type of circuit or components
you use if the performance is audibly blameless?
MooseFET
2007-08-19 22:05:28 UTC
Post by William Sommerwerck
Post by William Sommerwerck
A good op amp can be used as a buffer and be sonically transparent,
its output indistinguishable from its input.
As a buffer it has 100% NFB and I hope that's the case. As a gain stage
with say 40dB of voltage gain that isn't the case however.
Really, part of what I'm saying is that the classic op-amp isn't really
the ideal gain stage for audio circuits if you want to produce totally
"technically blameless" performance.
That's certainly true. But does it matter what type of circuit or components
you use if the performance is audibly blameless?
It also has to work for a reasonable time, be easy to manufacture and
look good.
Eeyore
2007-08-19 23:45:07 UTC
Post by William Sommerwerck
Post by William Sommerwerck
A good op amp can be used as a buffer and be sonically transparent,
its output indistinguishable from its input.
As a buffer it has 100% NFB and I hope that's the case. As a gain stage
with say 40dB of voltage gain that isn't the case however.
Really, part of what I'm saying is that the classic op-amp isn't really
the ideal gain stage for audio circuits if you want to produce totally
"technically blameless" performance.
That's certainly true. But does it matter what type of circuit or components
you use if the performance is audibly blameless?
You can (and people do) argue forever about what is or isn't subjectively
audible. The '990C' discrete op-amp was mentioned in another thread for example.
With THD of 0.06% (-64dB) under some conditions it strikes me that those
distortion products could easily be audible yet ppl leapt to its defence.

If it can be shown that the defects must be inaudible from first principles
(such as distortion below 100dB for example) you're on firmer ground IMHO.

Graham
Phil Allison
2007-08-20 01:50:57 UTC
" Graham Stevenson Total Wanker "
Post by Eeyore
You can (and people do) argue forever about what is or isn't subjectively
audible. The '990C' discrete op-amp was mentioned in another thread for example.
With THD of 0.06% (-64dB) under some conditions it strikes me that those
distortion products could easily be audible yet ppl leapt to its defence.
** Shame how the incorrigible, self aggrandising Graham Stevenson charlatan
deliberately did not provide a link to this obscure product from the audio
wanker's brigade.

Here it is:

http://www.johnhardyco.com/pdf/990.pdf

The 0.06% figure is there in the specs.

If refers to operation at 20 kHz, with 40 dB of gain and 19 volts peak into
a 75 ohm load - a power level of 2.5 watts !!!

Naturally, the THD figures improve dramatically at lower frequencies, power
levels and with common load impedances.

WHAT a CROCK OF SHIT !!!

This link has some actual test results with range of popular audio op-amps.

http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/ampins/webbop/opamp.htm

...... Phil
Scott Dorsey
2007-08-20 14:49:04 UTC
Post by William Sommerwerck
Post by William Sommerwerck
A good op amp can be used as a buffer and be sonically transparent,
its output indistinguishable from its input.
As a buffer it has 100% NFB and I hope that's the case. As a gain stage
with say 40dB of voltage gain that isn't the case however.
Really, part of what I'm saying is that the classic op-amp isn't really
the ideal gain stage for audio circuits if you want to produce totally
"technically blameless" performance.
That's certainly true. But does it matter what type of circuit or components
you use if the performance is audibly blameless?
It does, because a stage which is audibly blameless by itself may turn into
a sonic disaster when it appears a few hundred times in the signal path.
--scott
Phil Allison
2007-08-21 01:55:56 UTC
"Scott Dorsey Notorious Charlatan"
Post by Scott Dorsey
It does, because a stage which is audibly blameless by itself may turn into
a sonic disaster when it appears a few hundred times in the signal path.
** Huh ??

A few HUNDRED times ???????

The colossal fool must be on LSD.
Post by Scott Dorsey
** C'est Dorsey - so you know it is total crapology.

........ Phil
Eeyore
2007-08-21 02:20:18 UTC
Post by Scott Dorsey
It does, because a stage which is audibly blameless by itself may turn
into a sonic disaster when it appears a few hundred times in the signal
path.
** Huh ??
A few HUNDRED times ???????
The colossal fool must be on LSD.
The EQ section alone on a Neve V series (and derivatives) has 18 op-amp stages.

Graham
Phil Allison
2007-08-21 02:23:22 UTC
Post by Scott Dorsey
It does, because a stage which is audibly blameless by itself may turn
into a sonic disaster when it appears a few hundred times in the signal
path.
** Huh ??
A few HUNDRED times ???????
The colossal fool must be on LSD.
The EQ section alone on a Neve V series (and derivatives) has 18 op-amp stages.
** FUCK OFF YOU ASININE TROLLING MORON !!

...... Phil
MooseFET
2007-08-21 04:11:30 UTC
Post by Scott Dorsey
It does, because a stage which is audibly blameless by itself may turn
into a sonic disaster when it appears a few hundred times in the signal
path.
** Huh ??
A few HUNDRED times ???????
The colossal fool must be on LSD.
The EQ section alone on a Neve V series (and derivatives) has 18 op-amp stages.
It isn't hard to end up with that many. 1 per band per channel plus a
few will get you to 20 without working at it. To get above 100, you
are talking about a serious amount of more signal processing.
Eeyore
2007-08-21 04:16:45 UTC
Post by MooseFET
Post by Scott Dorsey
It does, because a stage which is audibly blameless by itself may turn
into a sonic disaster when it appears a few hundred times in the signal
path.
** Huh ??
A few HUNDRED times ???????
The colossal fool must be on LSD.
The EQ section alone on a Neve V series (and derivatives) has 18 op-amp stages.
It isn't hard to end up with that many. 1 per band per channel plus a
few will get you to 20 without working at it. To get above 100, you
are talking about a serious amount of more signal processing.
100 sounds pretty extreme certainly.

Graham
Mr.T
2007-08-21 06:27:50 UTC
Post by MooseFET
It isn't hard to end up with that many. 1 per band per channel plus a
few will get you to 20 without working at it. To get above 100, you
are talking about a serious amount of more signal processing.
100 op amps on parallel channels is a far different situation than 100 *ALL
in series* with the signal.
Of course in the real world the situation is somewhere in between those
extremes.

MrT.
Scott Dorsey
2007-08-21 13:12:22 UTC
Post by Mr.T
Post by MooseFET
It isn't hard to end up with that many. 1 per band per channel plus a
few will get you to 20 without working at it. To get above 100, you
are talking about a serious amount of more signal processing.
100 op amps on parallel channels is a far different situation than 100 *ALL
in series* with the signal.
Of course in the real world the situation is somewhere in between those
extremes.
Pop the cover on an SSL 4000 some time...
--scott
Arny Krueger
2007-08-21 10:30:21 UTC
Post by Eeyore
Post by Scott Dorsey
It does, because a stage which is audibly blameless by itself may turn
into a sonic disaster when it appears a few hundred times in the signal
path.
The EQ section alone on a Neve V series (and derivatives) has 18 op-amp stages.
Can't find a schematic for that one, but I'm looking at the schematic of a
Neve 83022EQ which seems to be representative.

There are a ton of op amps, but they aren't all cascaded on the signal path.
For example, 16 op amps are in 4 state-variable filters each composed of 4
stages, plus a helper amplifier.

In actual use, the full bandwidth and amplitude of the output signal of the
equalizer rarely if ever flows through all 16 op amps.

The state variable filters are typically used as hi pass, lo pass, shelving,
peaking or nulling filters, so only a fraction of the audio band is affected
by each. When each parametric section's boost/cut control is centered as it
often is, very little of the output signal passes through them.

There are 5 op amps with gain either -1 or +1, cascaded across the top of
the schematic. They are always in the signal path of the eq. They each pass
the entire audio band. However, it looks like it may be possible for the
whole eq to be bypassed.

My analog parametric eqs include individual bypass switches for each
section, and a bypass the whole eq. I can see maybe 20 ops amps actually
interposed full-band and full-signal in a record/play signal path, but 100
seems like a reach.

I've done experiements where we built up a string of 20 unity and 10 dB
stages, using fairly primitive op amps like TL074s. No reliable detection
in level-matched, bias-controlled tests, using very clean sources, very
clean monitors, and a variety of listeners who were either audio engineers
and/or audiophiles, and thought they would hear a difference.
Eeyore
2007-08-21 12:13:17 UTC
Post by Arny Krueger
Post by Eeyore
Post by Scott Dorsey
It does, because a stage which is audibly blameless by itself may turn
into a sonic disaster when it appears a few hundred times in the signal
path.
The EQ section alone on a Neve V series (and derivatives) has 18 op-amp stages.
Can't find a schematic for that one, but I'm looking at the schematic of a
Neve 83022EQ which seems to be representative.
http://www.danalexanderaudio.com/neveinfo/83049/83022EQ.jpg
Yes at a casual glance it looks much the same.
Post by Arny Krueger
There are a ton of op amps, but they aren't all cascaded on the signal path.
For example, 16 op amps are in 4 state-variable filters each composed of 4
stages, plus a helper amplifier.
In actual use, the full bandwidth and amplitude of the output signal of the
equalizer rarely if ever flows through all 16 op amps.
Depending on the cut and boost, the signal may be affected by all of them.

Graham
Arny Krueger
2007-08-21 13:07:43 UTC
Post by Eeyore
Post by Arny Krueger
Post by Eeyore
Post by Scott Dorsey
It does, because a stage which is audibly blameless by itself may turn
into a sonic disaster when it appears a few hundred times in the signal
path.
The EQ section alone on a Neve V series (and derivatives) has 18 op-amp stages.
Can't find a schematic for that one, but I'm looking at the schematic of a
Neve 83022EQ which seems to be representative.
http://www.danalexanderaudio.com/neveinfo/83049/83022EQ.jpg
Yes at a casual glance it looks much the same.
Pretty typical for a 4-section parametric eq, plus/minus some details.
Post by Eeyore
Post by Arny Krueger
There are a ton of op amps, but they aren't all cascaded on the signal path.
For example, 16 op amps are in 4 state-variable filters each composed of 4
stages, plus a helper amplifier.
In actual use, the full bandwidth and amplitude of the output signal of the
equalizer rarely if ever flows through all 16 op amps.
Depending on the cut and boost, the signal may be affected by all of them.
No doubt, but it is not the same as every ounce of signal going through all
of them cascaded, no matter what.

And, the channel strips are not usually cascaded, either. This one nets out
to being like 5-6 stages cascaded full time, more if you use EFX.
William Sommerwerck
2007-08-21 10:08:28 UTC
Post by Phil Allison
Post by Scott Dorsey
It does, because a stage which is audibly blameless
by itself may turn into a sonic disaster when it appears
a few hundred times in the signal path.
** Huh ??
A few HUNDRED times ???????
The colossal fool must be on LSD.
Mr. Dorsey is being only slightly hyperbolic.

Mixing boards use huge numbers of op amps. If you bounced a signal from one
track to another, it wouldn't be difficult to pass the signal through 50 to
100 gain stages.
MooseFET
2007-08-19 18:29:26 UTC
Post by Eeyore
of these new distortion products .
Comments ?
That negative feedback linearizes the transfer function at the expensive of
adding higher-order harmonics has been long-known. What you say is perfectly
logical.
However, the presence of higher-order harmonics is not the only factor, but
their amplitude. Below a certain percentage (I'm sure Arny will be able to
tell us what that is), they're inaudible.
A good op amp can be used as a buffer and be sonically transparent, its
output indistinguishable from its input.
Even at reasonable gains, there are many that will perform well enough
that nobody will hear the difference. Power amplifiers are the place
where it gets very hard to keep distortion low at reasonable
efficiencies.
John Larkin
2007-08-20 16:23:15 UTC
Post by MooseFET
Post by Eeyore
of these new distortion products .
Comments ?
That negative feedback linearizes the transfer function at the expensive of
adding higher-order harmonics has been long-known. What you say is perfectly
logical.
However, the presence of higher-order harmonics is not the only factor, but
their amplitude. Below a certain percentage (I'm sure Arny will be able to
tell us what that is), they're inaudible.
A good op amp can be used as a buffer and be sonically transparent, its
output indistinguishable from its input.
Even at reasonable gains, there are many that will perform well enough
that nobody will hear the difference. Power amplifiers are the place
where it gets very hard to keep distortion low at reasonable
efficiencies.
Consider how the sound got onto a CD or a slab of vinyl: microphones,
preamps, mixers, equalizers, time synchronizers, echo adders,
synthesizers, fake drums, distortion adders, digitizers. All this
supervised by some egomaniac producer who has his own opinion about
what sounds good and what the public wants to hear on whatever
equipment they are likely use, like a Panasonic receiver or a boom
box.

And somehow, magically, the golden-ear boys (is's almost always boys)
think that it matters that what they do to the signal that comes *off*
the CD makes so much difference that they can hear the difference in
the oxygen content of the interconnect wiring, or 0.06 percent
distortion when the producer added 30% of his own, because he liked
the effect.

Ludicrous.

John
William Sommerwerck
2007-08-20 16:52:08 UTC
Post by John Larkin
And somehow, magically, the golden-ear boys (is's almost always
boys) think that it matters that what they do to the signal that
comes *off* the CD makes so much difference that they can hear
the difference in the oxygen content of the interconnect wiring,
or 0.06 percent distortion when the producer added 30% of his
own, because he liked the effect.
What you say is intellectually logical, but it seems that post-recording
distortions can be plainly audible, regardless of the quality of the
recording.

When I reviewed, I made final judgements with my own live, undoctored
recordings.
Scott Dorsey
2007-08-20 17:29:57 UTC
Post by John Larkin
And somehow, magically, the golden-ear boys (is's almost always
boys) think that it matters that what they do to the signal that
comes *off* the CD makes so much difference that they can hear
the difference in the oxygen content of the interconnect wiring,
or 0.06 percent distortion when the producer added 30% of his
own, because he liked the effect.
What you say is intellectually logical, but it seems that post-recording
distortions can be plainly audible, regardless of the quality of the
recording.
Oh, absolutely, but sometimes that's because of what the distortions do
to the artifacts in the original recording.

I like to use a particular track from Hair for listening to speaker systems...
something in the vocal chain on that track (2-4-0-0) is right on the edge
of clipping and the problem is much more audible on good speakers than bad
ones.
--scott
Eeyore
2007-08-20 18:38:27 UTC
Post by John Larkin
[...]
The irony being that it sounds 'worse' on 'good' speakers.

This is why domestic hi-fi tends to have little in common with studio monitors.
Horses for courses and all that.

Graham
Arny Krueger
2007-08-20 17:53:28 UTC
Post by John Larkin
And somehow, magically, the golden-ear boys (is's almost always
boys) think that it matters that what they do to the signal that
comes *off* the CD makes so much difference that they can hear
the difference in the oxygen content of the interconnect wiring,
or 0.06 percent distortion when the producer added 30% of his
own, because he liked the effect.
What you say is intellectually logical, but it seems that post-recording
distortions can be plainly audible, regardless of the quality of the
recording.
30 years of experience with bias-controlled listening tests says that
*seems* and *is* can be two different things. Intellectual logic has this
interesting tendency to rule, once the comparison is based on just
listening.
Post by William Sommerwerck
When I reviewed, I made final judgements with my own live, undoctored
recordings.
The fun begins when you level-match, time-synch and eliminate other
non-audible cues.
Eeyore
2007-08-20 18:39:51 UTC
Post by John Larkin
[...]
I'd love to see you level match the sound field from different loudspeakers !

Graham
Arny Krueger
2007-08-20 20:51:09 UTC
Post by John Larkin
[...]
Of course we can't do that with anything like the precision that is readily
obtainable with amps, preamps, converters, digital players and recorders,
etc. OTOH, it can be done well enough to be revealatory to many.
William Sommerwerck
2007-08-20 20:14:33 UTC
Post by Arny Krueger
Post by William Sommerwerck
What you say is intellectually logical, but it seems that post-recording
distortions can be plainly audible, regardless of the quality of the
recording.
30 years of experience with bias-controlled listening tests says that
*seems* and *is* can be two different things. Intellectual logic has this
interesting tendency to rule, once the comparison is based on just
listening.
Post by William Sommerwerck
When I reviewed, I made final judgements with my own live,
undoctored recordings.
The fun begins when you level-match, time-synch and eliminate other
non-audible cues.
Arny, I was talking in general terms. The distortion in recordings does not
automatically mask distortions further down the playback chain.
Arny Krueger
2007-08-20 20:57:44 UTC
Post by Arny Krueger
Post by William Sommerwerck
What you say is intellectually logical, but it seems that post-recording
distortions can be plainly audible, regardless of the quality of the
recording.
30 years of experience with bias-controlled listening tests says that
*seems* and *is* can be two different things. Intellectual logic has this
interesting tendency to rule, once the comparison is based on just
listening.
Post by William Sommerwerck
When I reviewed, I made final judgements with my own live,
undoctored recordings.
The fun begins when you level-match, time-synch and eliminate other
non-audible cues.
Arny, I was talking in general terms. The distortion in recordings does not
automatically mask distortions further down the playback chain.
Since almost nothing in audio is automatic, that sounds a lot like an
excluded middle argument. ;-)

It is quite clear that the background noise in recordings is typically so
much greater than that in good equipment (other than microphones and rooms),
that it *does* mask the noise in much good equipment. True for good digital
recorders and players. True for many mic preamps, at least when used with
typical condenser mics.

The most common cause of audible distortion in audio gear is clipping due to
importune gain setting.
William Sommerwerck
2007-08-20 21:12:43 UTC
Post by Arny Krueger
The most common cause of audible distortion in audio gear
is clipping due to importune gain setting.
Actually, clipping is not "in" the gear.

I do wish you'd glom onto a Crown K1. You really need to hear this
amplifier -- and run it through some blind tests.
Arny Krueger
2007-08-20 21:16:15 UTC
Post by Arny Krueger
The most common cause of audible distortion in audio gear
is clipping due to importune gain setting.
Actually, clipping is not "in" the gear.
Please explain.
Post by William Sommerwerck
I do wish you'd glom onto a Crown K1. You really need to hear this
amplifier -- and run it through some blind tests.
Your'e externalizing again William. It is you who need to run your K1 nd a
QSC USA 400 or Dyna ST-120 through some level-matched bias-controlled
listening tests.
Eeyore
2007-08-20 23:12:57 UTC
Post by Arny Krueger
The most common cause of audible distortion in audio gear
is clipping due to importune gain setting.
Actually, clipping is not "in" the gear.
I do wish you'd glom onto a Crown K1. You really need to hear this
amplifier -- and run it through some blind tests.
What's the K1 like then ?

Graham
Arny Krueger
Something like The Second Coming?
Scott Dorsey
2007-08-21 03:29:10 UTC
Post by Arny Krueger
Post by Eeyore
Post by William Sommerwerck
I do wish you'd glom onto a Crown K1. You really need to hear this
amplifier -- and run it through some blind tests.
What's the K1 like then ?
Something like The Second Coming?
No, more like something out of Revelations.
--scott
William Sommerwerck
2007-08-21 10:11:51 UTC
Post by Scott Dorsey
Post by Arny Krueger
Post by Eeyore
Post by William Sommerwerck
I do wish you'd glom onto a Crown K1. You really need to
hear this amplifier -- and run it through some blind tests.
What's the K1 like then ?
Something like The Second Coming?
No, more like something out of Revelations.
If there were a Fifth Horseman, "Grundge", that would be the K1. It's so
bad-sounding, you can hear what's wrong with it without directly comparing
it with anything else.
Mr.T
2007-08-21 06:17:18 UTC
Post by Eeyore
Post by William Sommerwerck
I do wish you'd glom onto a Crown K1. You really need to hear this
amplifier -- and run it through some blind tests.
What's the K1 like then ?
Like most other good amps, so good you can forget about it being the
problem, unless it's broken of course :-)

MrT.
Eeyore
2007-08-20 18:34:10 UTC
Post by John Larkin
And somehow, magically, the golden-ear boys (is's almost always
boys) think that it matters that what they do to the signal that
comes *off* the CD makes so much difference that they can hear
the difference in the oxygen content of the interconnect wiring,
or 0.06 percent distortion when the producer added 30% of his
own, because he liked the effect.
What you say is intellectually logical, but it seems that post-recording
distortions can be plainly audible, regardless of the quality of the
recording.
Absolutely true.

The idea that you can 'get away' with sloppy circuitry for replay because the
source was in some way 'impaired' is totally false.

Graham
Robert Latest
2007-08-21 06:46:06 UTC
["Followup-To:" header set to sci.electronics.design.]
Post by Eeyore
The idea that you can 'get away' with sloppy circuitry for replay because the
source was in some way 'impaired' is totally false.
I don't think anybody proposed "sloppy" circuitry for replay. The point is
that studio audio gear is just solid, reliable, conventional good audio
stuff (none of that high-end low-oxygen power cord crap). Plenty of opamps,
plenty of NFB, plenty of digital processing, plenty of all the things that
high-enders loathe.

Since the recording studio already did 90% of the work of completely
destroying the audio signal beyond repair, it doesn't matter how much your
home audio gear adds to that.

Sometimes when I hear the golden earers talk I'm surprised that I can make
out any music at all when listening with my Cantons fed from an old Sony amp
through particularly oxygen-rich cables.

robert
MooseFET
2007-08-19 16:44:57 UTC
Post by Eeyore
There was part of a thread a while back about how adding negative feedback can
create higher order harmonic distortion products than exist open-loop in an
amplifier stage.
This made me think about the application of op-amps in audio generally. Negative
feedback is used primarily to linearise the transfer function and is used in
Since this amount of NFB is not required to provide an accurate gain setting, it
struck me that it's somewhat counter productive. If instead the open-loop
transfer characteritic was made more linear by degeneration
Degeneration is NFB. It is just applied locally. What you really
want is to go with a topology that is naturally more linear,
Post by Eeyore
of the open-loop
gain for example, when NFB is applied, the overall result should be largely
similar (i.e. no worse) but would presumably also suffer less from the creation
of these new distortion products .
Comments ?
One huge problem with including a lot of local NFB is that it makes
the overall system harder to close. Local feedback often creates 2
pole systems with modest Q values within the system. When you go to
close the loop, you have to keep a good phase margin so you are forced
to use a lower overall loop gain.

Try spice modeling a thing like this:

Vcc
---------------+------------
!
\
/
Vbias \
! !
/ +--------------
\ ! !
! !/ e !
---!!--+------! PNP ---
!\ ---
+--Out !
\ !
/ !
\ !
! !
+--------------
!
V D1
---
!
GND

Change D1 to be a resistor and back and you will see quite a
difference in the amount of degeneration needed to get the same
distortion values for a modest signal of lets say 10mV in.
Eeyore
2007-08-19 16:54:55 UTC
Post by MooseFET
Post by Eeyore
There was part of a thread a while back about how adding negative feedback can
create higher order harmonic distortion products than exist open-loop in an
amplifier stage.
This made me think about the application of op-amps in audio generally. Negative
feedback is used primarily to linearise the transfer function and is used in
Since this amount of NFB is not required to provide an accurate gain setting, it
struck me that it's somewhat counter productive. If instead the open-loop
transfer characteritic was made more linear by degeneration
Degeneration is NFB. It is just applied locally. What you really
want is to go with a topology that is naturally more linear,
Sorry I didn't make that clearer.

Yes, I'm referring to the reduction of overall loop feedback.

Graham
Eeyore
2007-08-19 16:57:14 UTC
Post by MooseFET
One huge problem with including a lot of local NFB is that it makes
the overall system harder to close.
That's not my experience. Quite the reverse actually. But then I do tend to
incorporate internal lead-lag compensation. This results in a far BETTER phase margin.

Graham
MooseFET
2007-08-19 18:23:40 UTC
Post by Eeyore
Post by MooseFET
One huge problem with including a lot of local NFB is that it makes
the overall system harder to close.
That's not my experience. Quite the reverse actually. But then I do tend to
incorporate internal lead-lag compensation. This results in a far BETTER phase margin.
This means that you have lowered the outter loop gain in the process.
If the internal part looks kind of like this:

--!!-/\/\--
! !
---/\/\-+--!-\ !
! >------+---
!+/

The amplification stage you are placing the NFB around must have a
great enough bandwidth to make the feedback determine the responce.

The local feedback has all of the problems a global feedback has with
creating upper harmonics. Your global feedback is now at a lower gain
and thus can't remove them. This is just a case of the lack of a free
lunch.

The pole and zero inside the loop is a good thing to do to improve the
phase margin when you have other poles in the system. It allows you
to determine where the gain crossover happens and the phase at the
crossover. It is a method of lowering the overall loop gain. It
doesn't however get rid of the harmonics issue. It also is something
that you can only do a few times inside the loop. When the system
starts to look like 3 of those in series, you are back in trouble.

In audio stuff, you generally want to put the pole-zero thing near the
output, ideally enclosing the output. This makes the system apply a
low pass filter to any distortion products that the feedback can't get
rid of.
Eeyore
2007-08-19 23:34:52 UTC
Post by MooseFET
Post by Eeyore
Post by MooseFET
One huge problem with including a lot of local NFB is that it makes
the overall system harder to close.
That's not my experience. Quite the reverse actually. But then I do tend to
incorporate internal lead-lag compensation. This results in a far BETTER phase margin.
This means that you have lowered the outter loop gain in the process.
Yes. As stated in my introduction, the pursuit of super-fabulously high DC (or AC) open loop
gain makes no sense for audio. Besides, gain is cheap these days. I have no objection to the
introduction of another gain stage for example. I'd rather have a sensible amount of very
linear and well defined gain than oodles of 'poor quality' gain.
Post by MooseFET
--!!-/\/\--
! !
---/\/\-+--!-\ !
! >------+---
!+/
The amplification stage you are placing the NFB around must have a
great enough bandwidth to make the feedback determine the responce.
Yes and yes. Many IC op-amps used for audio have GBPs in the 10MHz region so this isn't too
difficult even if using one of those inside the loop (which I did in a recent design ).
Discrete stages suitably degenerated can have higher GBPs than that.
Post by MooseFET
The local feedback has all of the problems a global feedback has with
creating upper harmonics. Your global feedback is now at a lower gain
and thus can't remove them. This is just a case of the lack of a free
lunch.
I'm not sure I 'get that' entirely. I see where you're coming from and that would lead one
to imagine that pursuit of linearity in individual stages was a pointless pursuit and you
might as well have tons of non-linear gain and I know that's not the case, not least because
the very hugh gain system has to be stable and that tends to lead to rolling off the gain
(and the advantage of NFB) from very low frequencies.
Post by MooseFET
The pole and zero inside the loop is a good thing to do to improve the
phase margin when you have other poles in the system. It allows you
to determine where the gain crossover happens and the phase at the
crossover. It is a method of lowering the overall loop gain. It
doesn't however get rid of the harmonics issue. It also is something
that you can only do a few times inside the loop. When the system
starts to look like 3 of those in series, you are back in trouble.
3 of them would be a bit much. I've not used more than 2 inside the loop in fact.
Post by MooseFET
In audio stuff, you generally want to put the pole-zero thing near the
output, ideally enclosing the output. This makes the system apply a
low pass filter to any distortion products that the feedback can't get
rid of.
Interesting idea.

Graham
MooseFET
2007-08-20 00:29:16 UTC
Post by Eeyore
Post by MooseFET
Post by Eeyore
Post by MooseFET
One huge problem with including a lot of local NFB is that it makes
the overall system harder to close.
That's not my experience. Quite the reverse actually. But then I do tend to
incorporate internal lead-lag compensation. This results in a far BETTER phase margin.
This means that you have lowered the outter loop gain in the process.
Yes. As stated in my introduction, the pursuit of super-fabulously high DC (or AC) open loop
gain makes no sense for audio.
You do need merely "high gain" however. This high gain needs to be
true at the frequencies of interest so the GBP does have to be at
least some reasonable amount.

Very high values of loop gain makes for very large amounts of
reductions in the harmonics within the band. This can argue for much
more gain than it would normally appear you need if you only needed
enough gain to be sure that the feedback resistors were what was
setting the gain.
Post by Eeyore
Besides, gain is cheap these days. I have no objection to the
introduction of another gain stage for example. I'd rather have a sensible amount of very
linear and well defined gain than oodles of 'poor quality' gain.
Adding stages adds to the phase shifts. This is another "no free
lunch situation". When you increase the number of stages you also
want to increase the bandwidths of most of the stages to keep the
phase shift near the gain cross over within reason.
Post by Eeyore
Post by MooseFET
--!!-/\/\--
! !
---/\/\-+--!-\ !
! >------+---
!+/
[.. stuff we have covered and agree on ...
Post by Eeyore
Post by MooseFET
The local feedback has all of the problems a global feedback has with
creating upper harmonics. Your global feedback is now at a lower gain
and thus can't remove them. This is just a case of the lack of a free
lunch.
I'm not sure I 'get that' entirely. I see where you're coming from and that would lead one
to imagine that pursuit of linearity in individual stages was a pointless pursuit and you
might as well have tons of non-linear gain and I know that's not the case, not least because
the very hugh gain system has to be stable and that tends to lead to rolling off the gain
(and the advantage of NFB) from very low frequencies.
No what I am pointing out is that local feedback is not a good
substitute for a naturally more linear stage. Consider this sort of a
situation:

---------- ------ ---------- ------
Signal--->! Subtract !---! Gain !--->! Subtract !--->! Bad !--+----
---------- ------ ---------- ! gain ! !
^ ^ ------ !
! ! !
------------------------+---------------------

You can trade back and forth how much subtracting you do in the two
subtraction circuits but you can't really fix the "bad gain" section.
I am for not leaving out the idea that the good gain has a limited
bandwidth and assuming all of the bandwidth limiting happens in the
"bad gain". I think this makes the idea obvious in it simple form.
To take a bit of a real example, consider a dreadful output stage that
works like this:

----+--------+---
! !
\ \
R1 / / R2
\ \
! !
! !/e
+-------! PNP
! !\
!/ !
! NPN !
!\e ! R3
----------+----/\/\---
--- mirror for other half

R3 is providing a measure of local feedback. R2 also is doing so.
This stage will still be a horror story. Adding a diode in series
with R1 to match to the E-B drop of the PNP makes it much less so.
The diode makes the PNP act much more like a linear current mirror and
thus reduces the natural distortion.

Since the transistors used in power stages are usually slower than the
others in the design. The output is almost always where the pole you
didn't design in lives.
Post by Eeyore
Post by MooseFET
The pole and zero inside the loop is a good thing to do to improve the
phase margin when you have other poles in the system. It allows you
to determine where the gain crossover happens and the phase at the
crossover. It is a method of lowering the overall loop gain. It
doesn't however get rid of the harmonics issue. It also is something
that you can only do a few times inside the loop. When the system
starts to look like 3 of those in series, you are back in trouble.
3 of them would be a bit much. I've not used more than 2 inside the loop in fact.
Trust me on this: Don't put three inside the loop. Reconsider the
design if you find yourself going there. Two is ok. One plus a
feedforwards is ok but three always seems to mean trouble.
Post by Eeyore
Post by MooseFET
In audio stuff, you generally want to put the pole-zero thing near the
output, ideally enclosing the output. This makes the system apply a
low pass filter to any distortion products that the feedback can't get
rid of.
Interesting idea.
It only works up to a point. It also requires largish (mechanically)
parts be involved. You have a capacitor and a resistor with fairly
large swings on them and are working at lowish impedances.
Eeyore
2007-08-20 00:49:23 UTC
Post by MooseFET
Post by Eeyore
Post by MooseFET
Post by Eeyore
Post by MooseFET
One huge problem with including a lot of local NFB is that it makes
the overall system harder to close.
That's not my experience. Quite the reverse actually. But then I do tend to
incorporate internal lead-lag compensation. This results in a far BETTER phase margin.
This means that you have lowered the outter loop gain in the process.
Yes. As stated in my introduction, the pursuit of super-fabulously high DC (or AC) open loop
gain makes no sense for audio.
You do need merely "high gain" however. This high gain needs to be
true at the frequencies of interest so the GBP does have to be at
least some reasonable amount.
10MHz seems to work reasonably well but 120dB gain at LF is not a requirement.
Post by MooseFET
Very high values of loop gain makes for very large amounts of
reductions in the harmonics within the band. This can argue for much
more gain than it would normally appear you need if you only needed
enough gain to be sure that the feedback resistors were what was
setting the gain.
That's sort of what I'm after.
Post by MooseFET
Post by Eeyore
Besides, gain is cheap these days. I have no objection to the
introduction of another gain stage for example. I'd rather have a sensible amount of very
linear and well defined gain than oodles of 'poor quality' gain.
Adding stages adds to the phase shifts.
Needn't be a very significant phase shift. Plus, if the 'natural' phase shift of the existing
stages is reduced through degeneration, that's all fine.
Post by MooseFET
This is another "no free lunch situation". When you increase the number of stages you also
want to increase the bandwidths of most of the stages to keep the
phase shift near the gain cross over within reason.
Oh yes and degeneration will do that of course.

Graham
MooseFET
2007-08-20 02:15:51 UTC
On Aug 19, 5:49 pm, Eeyore <***@hotmail.com>
wrote:
[....]
Post by Eeyore
Post by MooseFET
You do need merely "high gain" however. This high gain needs to be
true at the frequencies of interest so the GBP does have to be at
least some reasonable amount.
10MHz seems to work reasonably well but 120dB gain at LF is not a requirement.
I quite agree. The point that matters more is the gain at the top of
the band. At the low end you almost always have more than enough
gain.
Post by Eeyore
Post by MooseFET
Post by Eeyore
Besides, gain is cheap these days. I have no objection to the
introduction of another gain stage for example. I'd rather have a sensible amount of very
linear and well defined gain than oodles of 'poor quality' gain.
Adding stages adds to the phase shifts.
Needn't be a very significant phase shift. Plus, if the 'natural' phase shift of the existing
stages is reduced through degeneration, that's all fine.
The local feedback is lowering the gain and thus shifts the gain cross
over downwards. When you add the stage, you never get quite the full
gain increase. At least, this is generally true for gains greater
than about e.
Eeyore
2007-08-20 00:57:11 UTC
<addressing individual points here>
Since the transistors used in power stages are usually slower than the
others in the design. The output is almost always where the pole you
didn't design in lives.
In a power amplifier design this is pretty much invariably true (although power devices from the
likes of Toshiba tend to be pretty fast) but for a 'discrete op-amp' the output devices certainly
need not have such a limitation. I'd expect to be using parts with a 100MHz fT.

As an example of designing around the problem where you do need some watts of dissipation, where I
once needed to provide a highish current drive stage to drive some Mosfet gates I used several
reasonably fast TO-92 parts in 'parallel' rather than go for a slower TO-220 device.

Graham
MooseFET
2007-08-20 02:32:52 UTC
Post by Eeyore
<addressing individual points here>
Since the transistors used in power stages are usually slower than the
others in the design. The output is almost always where the pole you
didn't design in lives.
In a power amplifier design this is pretty much invariably true (although power devices from the
likes of Toshiba tend to be pretty fast) but for a 'discrete op-amp' the output devices certainly
need not have such a limitation. I'd expect to be using parts with a 100MHz fT.
As an example of designing around the problem where you do need some watts of dissipation, where I
once needed to provide a highish current drive stage to drive some Mosfet gates I used several
reasonably fast TO-92 parts in 'parallel' rather than go for a slower TO-220 device.
No cursor again damit!

Zetex makes the 2N2222 is a SOT223 package. Each one is good for
about 0.5A of gate drive and are quite fast. I've used them as RF
devices at 90MHZ.
Graham
Eeyore
2007-08-20 02:42:28 UTC
Post by MooseFET
Post by Eeyore
[...]
In my case quiescent dissipation was a factor so SOT223 wouldn't have been helpful. Also I was using
+/- 105V supplies. MPSA42 and 92 did the job.

Graham
D from BC
2007-08-19 17:03:12 UTC
On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 16:39:55 +0100, Eeyore
Post by Eeyore
There was part of a thread a while back about how adding negative feedback can
create higher order harmonic distortion products than exist open-loop in an
amplifier stage.
This made me think about the application of op-amps in audio generally. Negative
feedback is used primarily to linearise the transfer function and is used in
Since this amount of NFB is not required to provide an accurate gain setting, it
struck me that it's somewhat counter productive. If instead the open-loop
transfer characteritic was made more linear by degeneration of the open-loop
gain for example, when NFB is applied, the overall result should be largely
similar (i.e. no worse) but would presumably also suffer less from the creation
of these new distortion products .
Comments ?
Graham
Just speaky from some audio hobby work....

*Like with most things in electronics, there are frequency limits. I
think feedback decreases with frequency. The harmonic distortion
becomes an ultrasonic problem.
*Feedback is a correction signal.. If nothing messes up this process
then all's well.
*For large signals, doesn't every semiconductor naturally distort?
Developing the best linear open loop design may not be enough.

D from BC
Eeyore
2007-08-19 17:41:42 UTC
Post by D from BC
Just speaky from some audio hobby work....
*Like with most things in electronics, there are frequency limits. I
think feedback decreases with frequency. The harmonic distortion
becomes an ultrasonic problem.
*Feedback is a correction signal.. If nothing messes up this process
then all's well.
*For large signals, doesn't every semiconductor naturally distort?
Developing the best linear open loop design may not be enough.
You need to learn more.

I appreciate your interest but your grasp of the issues is beginner level.

Graham
D from BC
2007-08-20 04:59:47 UTC
On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 18:41:42 +0100, Eeyore
Post by Eeyore
Post by D from BC
Just speaky from some audio hobby work....
*Like with most things in electronics, there are frequency limits. I
think feedback decreases with frequency. The harmonic distortion
becomes an ultrasonic problem.
*Feedback is a correction signal.. If nothing messes up this process
then all's well.
*For large signals, doesn't every semiconductor naturally distort?
Developing the best linear open loop design may not be enough.
You need to learn more.
I appreciate your interest but your grasp of the issues is beginner level.
Graham
Learn more..No wayy... :P
I gave up audio electronics in 98.
Is there still money to be made in that area?

D from BC
MooseFET
2007-08-19 18:38:53 UTC
Post by Eeyore
[...]
Yes it typically does generally decrease. It also has a phase shift.
If you add feedforward, you can have a band in which the feedback
increases with frequency.
Post by D from BC
The harmonic distortion
becomes an ultrasonic problem.
One problem is that ultasonic things can interact on any nonlinear
part of the system. This can lead to frequencies that are things like
7*F1 - 9*F2 in the circuit. It is like someone injected a signal at
that frequency into that point in the circuit. How the system
responds to it determines whether it will be heard or not.
D from BC
D from BC
2007-08-20 03:04:29 UTC
Post by D from BC
*Feedback is a correction signal.. If nothing messes up this process
then all's well.
*For large signals, doesn't every semiconductor naturally distort?
Developing the best linear open loop design may not be enough.
D from BC
I have to wonder how often BW limiting (say cutoff at 20khz) is
practiced in audio electronics design to filter out ultrasonic
harmonics produced by op amp stages.
For example: Active crossovers, sound cards, mixing boards...
D from BC
Eeyore
2007-08-20 04:09:14 UTC
Post by D from BC
I have to wonder how often BW limiting (say cutoff at 20khz) is
practiced in audio electronics design to filter out ultrasonic
harmonics produced by op amp stages.
For example: Active crossovers, sound cards, mixing boards...
Never IME. Flat to 100kHz is the order of the day.

Graham
MooseFET
2007-08-19 18:49:37 UTC
On Aug 19, 10:03 am, D from BC <***@comic.com> wrote:
[...]
Post by D from BC
*For large signals, doesn't every semiconductor naturally distort?
Developing the best linear open loop design may not be enough.
For some reason my cursor went away. This makes it harder to edit
what I'm typing.

Making the "best linear open loop" is for all practical purposes never
enough.
You need a very linear open loop design with a low enough phase shift
to make the NFB work and ideally to have a lowpass effect applied to
any distortion that is created.

You also have to trade off performance against water cooling. A
simple class A power MOSFET common source stage can be used as an
example. If you use about 10 power MOSFETs in parallel, have each one
passing about 0.5 Amps, and run with a 50V supply, you will have a
circuit that is darn linear for a 1mV input signal.
D from BC
2007-08-20 03:54:44 UTC
Post by MooseFET
[...]
Post by D from BC
*For large signals, doesn't every semiconductor naturally distort?
Developing the best linear open loop design may not be enough.
For some reason my cursor went away. This makes it harder to edit
what I'm typing.
Making the "best linear open loop" is for all practical purposes never
enough.
You need a very linear open loop design with a low enough phase shift
to make the NFB work and ideally to have a lowpass effect applied to
any distortion that is created.
You also have to trade off performance against water cooling. A
simple class A power MOSFET common source stage can be used as an
example. If you use about 10 power MOSFETs in parallel, have each one
passing about 0.5 Amps, and run with a 50V supply, you will have a
circuit that is darn linear for a 1mV input signal.
Lowpass effect??
First time I read it that way... but I think I know what you mean.
It's the increasing distortion with increasing frequency.
All happening due to decreasing open loop gain with increasing
frequency.
(With a open loop phase(f) such that the amp is stable.)

Speaking of phase... Here's something I find fuzzy..

For an amplifier.. the input signal is summed with the output signal.
The result of the summation is the input signal + call it an
anti-distortion signal. The more fed back the more the gain goes down
but the more linear the amp acts..
Great if it all happens instantly..
But I can't imagine it does.
Electronics have time delays.
Feedback kinda looks like a late arrival.

It's just amazing the amplifier can keep up and fix its own
nonlinearity with chaotic audio jumping around at all differant rates.

D from BC
Eeyore
2007-08-20 04:16:53 UTC
Post by D from BC
It's the increasing distortion with increasing frequency.
Open loop gain reduces with frequency (Miller Effect). Reduced open loop gain at
higher frequencies means less negative feedback available. Less 'correcting' NFB
Post by D from BC
increased THD.
Graham
Eeyore
2007-08-20 04:19:10 UTC
Post by D from BC
Electronics have time delays.
Switching circuits have time delays ( Ton - Toff - Tstg etc ) . Amplifier
circuits are not normally hard switching. It's more useful to look at phase
shift with them.

Graham
D from BC
2007-08-20 05:35:51 UTC
On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 05:19:10 +0100, Eeyore
Post by Eeyore
Post by D from BC
Electronics have time delays.
Switching circuits have time delays ( Ton - Toff - Tstg etc ) . Amplifier
circuits are not normally hard switching. It's more useful to look at phase
shift with them.
Graham
I guess I think phase for repeating waveforms.
Audio is like noise.
I haven't heard someone say "That noise is lagging by 40 degrees."
2 sine waves out of sync can be expressed by degrees or time delay.

But yeah... when it comes to feedback, time delay within a 1/2 cycle
is of concern..so I guess that's why phase is the better term.

I mentioned time delay to express the time it takes for a signal to
pass through x amount of transistors in an op amp.
After that, feeding back the signal kinda doesn't look like
instantaneous correction.

In some ways feedback is seems like continuously breaking wine glasses
on the floor.. If the clean up is done fast enough...it doesn't look
like any glasses are being broken.
Well...that's probably a crappy analogy but best I can think of...
D from BC
m***@sushi.com
2007-08-21 05:26:34 UTC
Post by Eeyore
Post by D from BC
Electronics have time delays.
Switching circuits have time delays ( Ton - Toff - Tstg etc ) . Amplifier
circuits are not normally hard switching. It's more useful to look at phase
shift with them.
Graham
I guess I think phase for repeating waveforms.
Audio is like noise.
I haven't heard someone say "That noise is lagging by 40 degrees."
2 sine waves out of sync can be expressed by degrees or time delay.
Any complex signal can be broken down into a combination of sine
waves. So you can still use the notion of phase shift.
D from BC
whit3rd
2007-08-19 20:11:44 UTC
...about the application of op-amps in audio generally. Negative
feedback is used primarily to linearise the transfer function and is used in
All amplifiers have characteristic curves; the gain isn't completely
linear.
Feedback components can be (very linear) resistors. So you get
some combination of amplification and negative feedback in most useful
low-distortion amplifiers.

A single transistor can have power gain of 10,000; a single vacuum
tube
or MOSFET can have more. Giving up gain for linearity is a good
trade.
It's never perfect (even resistors are distortion sources, if you have
signals
at 2 Hz and the self-heating of the resistors isn't insignificant),
but it's good
enough. Listen. Enjoy.
Eeyore
2007-08-19 23:40:58 UTC
Post by whit3rd
...about the application of op-amps in audio generally. Negative
feedback is used primarily to linearise the transfer function and is used in
All amplifiers have characteristic curves; the gain isn't completely
linear.
I know. That's why I said the individual stages should be degenerated to linearise
them. This results in a lower gain but this may not be a problem in practice as
long as GBP is maintained.
Post by whit3rd
Feedback components can be (very linear) resistors. So you get
some combination of amplification and negative feedback in most useful
low-distortion amplifiers.
A single transistor can have power gain of 10,000;
In every audio amplifier stage I know, POWER gain is of little importance. Voltage
gain is what's required. Cuurent gain can be readily added where needed by using
emiiter followers.
Post by whit3rd
a single vacuum tube or MOSFET can have more. Giving up gain for linearity is a
good
trade.
That was indeed my point wrt giving up some of that *open-loop* gain in a gain
block.

Graham
Chris Hornbeck
2007-08-20 05:22:07 UTC
On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 16:39:55 +0100, Eeyore
<***@hotmail.com> wrote:

(crossposted into several whack-job newsgroups, so nobody
here wants to bother to answer)
Post by Eeyore
There was part of a thread a while back about how adding negative feedback can
create higher order harmonic distortion products than exist open-loop in an
amplifier stage.
I think if this premise is examined in detail it will be
found to be false. All of the electrons who've lost their
lives for this thread so far have done so with no
proposed model and no exit strategy. So typical of our
modern world, ain't it?.

You've already posted that you currently design with individual
stage magnitude and phase gain shaping, which can only be
achieved together with local degeneration. The model to be
discussed would then be one with varying amounts of local
degeneration, always optimizing for some defined stability
margin.

God and the Devil dwell together here in the details. What
model are you working in? Is the discussion about a degenerated
transconductance stage followed by a single dominant pole
integrator and buffer (standard op-amp), or about some distributed
gain voltage amplifier, or about something else?

There are folks (not me; I'm an amateur) here who will have
input fer ye, but, unlike the whack-job newsgroups, won't
respond to such a broadly (un)defined question.

Stimulating though it may be...

Thanks, as always,

Chris Hornbeck
"It's just this little Chromium Switch.
You people are SO superstitious."
Mark
2007-08-20 16:32:21 UTC
Post by Eeyore
There was part of a thread a while back about how adding negative feedback can
create higher order harmonic distortion products than exist open-loop in an
amplifier stage.
This premise is NOT correct. Do not believe everything you read on
the Internet.

Feedback done correctly ADDS nothing. Perhaps what you are thinking
about is that feedback is generally more effective at reducing low
order distortion compared to reducing high order distortion. Feedback
(implemented correctly) does not INCREASE either form of distortion.
It reduces them both.

Mark
Don Pearce
2007-08-20 16:47:22 UTC
Post by Mark
Post by Eeyore
There was part of a thread a while back about how adding negative feedback can
create higher order harmonic distortion products than exist open-loop in an
amplifier stage.
This premise is NOT correct. Do not believe everything you read on
the Internet.
Feedback done correctly ADDS nothing. Perhaps what you are thinking
about is that feedback is generally more effective at reducing low
order distortion compared to reducing high order distortion. Feedback
(implemented correctly) does not INCREASE either form of distortion.
It reduces them both.
Mark
The way poorly implemented overall feedback can increase the level of
higher order harmonics is by permitting a marginal stability margin at
the top end. This is usually a result of a misguided attempt to
extract maximum possible bandwidth by not using a dominant pole at a
low enough frequency. Instead of a smooth top-end roll-off you get a
dip, then a rise. It is in the frequency range of this rise that the
feedback is tending towards positive rather than negative, and can
result in increased harmonic levels. Hopefully this (if it happens at
all) is well beyond the audible range.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
William Sommerwerck
2007-08-20 16:55:16 UTC
Post by Eeyore
There was part of a thread a while back about how adding negative
feedback can create higher order harmonic distortion products than
exist open-loop in an amplifier stage.
This premise is NOT correct. Do not believe everything you read on
the Internet.
Feedback done correctly ADDS nothing. Perhaps what you are thinking
about is that feedback is generally more effective at reducing low-order
distortion compared to reducing high order distortion. Feedback
(implemented correctly) does not INCREASE either form of distortion.
It reduces them both.
I'm sorry, Mark, but this has been known for decades, and was not
established by audiophile reviewers -- the reduction of the overall
distortion level is accompanied by an increase in higher-order harmonics.

I apologize for not having a reference.
Kevin Aylward
2007-08-20 17:13:21 UTC
Post by Eeyore
There was part of a thread a while back about how adding negative
feedback can create higher order harmonic distortion products than
exist open-loop in an amplifier stage.
This premise is NOT correct. Do not believe everything you read on
the Internet.
Feedback done correctly ADDS nothing. Perhaps what you are thinking
about is that feedback is generally more effective at reducing
low-order distortion compared to reducing high order distortion.
Feedback (implemented correctly) does not INCREASE either form of
distortion. It reduces them both.
I'm sorry, Mark, but this has been known for decades, and was not
established by audiophile reviewers -- the reduction of the overall
distortion level is accompanied by an increase in higher-order
harmonics.
I apologize for not having a reference.
Well, it is trivially obvious that a pure square law device, with a *small*
amount of feedback will generate 3rd harmonic distortion, that was never
orginally there, from the mixing of the second and the fundamental. It is
also true that for such low levels of feedback, although the total thd is
less, the new 3rd component may sound more objectionable to those goldern
ears. However, assuming *sufficient* feedback is applied, the final
distortion will be audiable less noticable.
--
Kevin Aylward
***@kevinaylward.co.uk
Arny Krueger
2007-08-20 18:29:46 UTC
Post by Kevin Aylward
Well, it is trivially obvious that a pure square law device, with a
*small* amount of feedback will generate 3rd harmonic distortion, that was
never orginally there, from the mixing of the second and the fundamental.
It is also true that for such low levels of feedback, although the total
thd is less, the new 3rd component may sound more objectionable to those
goldern ears. However, assuming *sufficient* feedback is applied, the
final distortion will be audiable less noticable.
Let's put this into a real-world perspective. The LM 4562 has a typical GBW
of 55 MHz. If it is a typical compensated op amp, that means that its gain
at 1 KHz is 55,000. The feedback factor at 60 dB gain (x1,000) and 1 KHz is
thus 55. Based on its specs, its open-loop nonlinear distortion at 1 KHz is
55,000 times its unity gain distortion @ 1KHz is less than 2%. At 60 dB
gain, negative feedback drops this to about 0.035 %. Let's assume the worst
case - the nonlinear distortion is all second harmonic. Then, when fed back,
0.035% or less of the 0.035% second order distortion undergoes conversion to
third harmonic.

IOW with feedback, there is now 0.00001225% or less third harmonic in
addition to the 0.035% second. I wouldn't expect anybody to hear the 0.035%
second order nonlinear distortion, and definitely not the 0.00001225% third.
Arny Krueger
2007-08-20 18:05:51 UTC
Post by Eeyore
There was part of a thread a while back about how adding negative
feedback can create higher order harmonic distortion products than
exist open-loop in an amplifier stage.
This premise is NOT correct. Do not believe everything you read on
the Internet.
Feedback done correctly ADDS nothing. Perhaps what you are thinking
about is that feedback is generally more effective at reducing low-order
distortion compared to reducing high order distortion. Feedback
(implemented correctly) does not INCREASE either form of distortion.
It reduces them both.
I'm sorry, Mark, but this has been known for decades, and was not
established by audiophile reviewers -- the reduction of the overall
distortion level is accompanied by an increase in higher-order harmonics.
I apologize for not having a reference.
Something to do with reality intruding on fantasy. Normally, a reduction of
the overall
distortion level is accompanied by a similar but possibly smaller decrease
in higher-order harmonics. A decrease in all forms of distortion is the
primary effect. The shift towards larger percentages (but not larger
amounts) of higher order distortion is a secondary effect.

One possible exception was described by Don - relating to marginal
stability.

Another common situation is where the open-loop gain of the amplifier inside
the loop simply falls with increasing frequency. Very common, particularly
with op amps. The higher harmonics are still reduced, but they may be
reduced by a smaller amount than the lower harmonics. This leads to the
higher harmonics being a bigger slice of a significantly smaller pie. The
smaller pie is the stronger effect, so the size of all harmonics is still
reduced.

When the pie is as sour-tasting as nonlinear distortion is in reproduction
equipment, I'm always in favor of significantly smaller pies!

The source of this myth is the mistaken idea that negative feedback
regenerates the audio signal, and the nonlinearity of the amplifier leads to
higher order products of the regenerated harmonics and the nonlinearity of
the amp. This ignores the fact that the regenerated signal is brought back
in out-of-phase, and has the primary result of reducing the high order
harmonics.
William Sommerwerck
2007-08-20 20:12:05 UTC
Post by Arny Krueger
The source of this myth is the mistaken idea that negative feedback
regenerates the audio signal, and the nonlinearity of the amplifier
leads to higher order products of the regenerated harmonics and the
nonlinearity of the amp. This ignores the fact that the regenerated
signal is brought back in out-of-phase, and has the primary result
of reducing the high order harmonics.
I'm not sure that's right. My memory (which could be faulty) is that this
can be shown mathematically.

I'll ask around (I know a few people in high places) and see if I can get a
reference.
Arny Krueger
2007-08-20 20:58:57 UTC
Post by Arny Krueger
The source of this myth is the mistaken idea that negative feedback
regenerates the audio signal, and the nonlinearity of the amplifier
leads to higher order products of the regenerated harmonics and the
nonlinearity of the amp. This ignores the fact that the regenerated
signal is brought back in out-of-phase, and has the primary result
of reducing the high order harmonics.
I'm not sure that's right. My memory (which could be faulty) is that this
can be shown mathematically.
I have just laid out the math results in two other posts. I've confirmed it
with simulations.
Robert Latest
2007-08-21 06:51:16 UTC
["Followup-To:" header set to sci.electronics.design.]
Post by William Sommerwerck
I'm not sure that's right. My memory (which could be faulty) is that this
can be shown mathematically.
I'll ask around (I know a few people in high places) and see if I can get a
reference.
If you want real information, don't ask people in high places. Ask techs.

robert
Eeyore
2007-08-20 18:30:25 UTC
Post by Mark
Post by Eeyore
There was part of a thread a while back about how adding negative feedback can
create higher order harmonic distortion products than exist open-loop in an
amplifier stage.
This premise is NOT correct. Do not believe everything you read on
the Internet.
Feedback done correctly ADDS nothing. Perhaps what you are thinking
about is that feedback is generally more effective at reducing low
order distortion compared to reducing high order distortion. Feedback
(implemented correctly) does not INCREASE either form of distortion.
It reduces them both.
I know it decreases overall THD numbers. I'm not one of those nuts who's anti-NFB
per se.

What is the case AIUI is that NFB can create 'new' (higher) harmonics that don't
exist with the open-loop situation. It's down to the maths of how feedback works.

Graham
Arny Krueger
2007-08-20 19:07:26 UTC
Post by Eeyore
Post by Mark
Post by Eeyore
[...]
The actual fraction of new higher harmonic is very low in practice.

Take a really crappy power amp that has a 1% nonlinearity.

If you put in a FS 1 KHz tone, you get out a nearly FS 1KHz tone, DC that is
46 dB down, and 2 KHz that is 46 dB down. Run the output back through again,
and you get a nearly FS 1 KHz tone, DC that is still about 46 dB down, a 2
KHz tone that is about 46 dB down, and a 3 KHz tone that is about 92 dB
down.

1. Higher harmonics *are* more audible, but the additional 46 dB down is
far, far less than enough to make up the difference.

2. If the amp has 0.1 % nonlinearity (still fairly crappy by modern
standards), the numbers are 66 dB down for the DC and second harmonic, and
132 dB down for the third harmonic.

3. If the amp has 0.01 % nonlinearity (very good modern standards), the
numbers are 86 dB down for the DC and second harmonic, and 172 dB down for
the third harmonic.

Most modern power amps will be someplace between (2) and (3). Most modern
op amp applications will be closer to (3), on the good side.
Robert Latest
2007-08-21 06:53:57 UTC
Post by Arny Krueger
If you put in a FS 1 KHz tone, you get out a nearly FS 1KHz tone, DC that is
46 dB down, and 2 KHz that is 46 dB down. Run the output back through again,
and you get a nearly FS 1 KHz tone, DC that is still about 46 dB down, a 2
KHz tone that is about 46 dB down, and a 3 KHz tone that is about 92 dB
down.
Wouldn't you get 4 kHz (2nd harmonic of 2kHz) rather than 3 kHz?

robert
Arny Krueger
2007-08-21 10:38:10 UTC
Post by Robert Latest
Post by Arny Krueger
If you put in a FS 1 KHz tone, you get out a nearly FS 1KHz tone, DC that is
46 dB down, and 2 KHz that is 46 dB down. Run the output back through again,
and you get a nearly FS 1 KHz tone, DC that is still about 46 dB down, a 2
KHz tone that is about 46 dB down, and a 3 KHz tone that is about 92 dB
down.
Wouldn't you get 4 kHz (2nd harmonic of 2kHz) rather than 3 kHz?
You get both third and fourth. The 4th is another 46dB or so down, or about
138 dB down from the fundamental. I felt safe ignoring it. ;-)

I think that the third harmonic is actually due to the modulation of the DC
term from the first time through. The fourth harmonic is the second harmonic
of the second harmonic, of course.
Eeyore
2007-08-21 12:14:38 UTC
Post by Arny Krueger
Post by Robert Latest
Post by Arny Krueger
2 KHz tone that is about 46 dB down, and a 3 KHz tone that is about 92 dB
down.
Wouldn't you get 4 kHz (2nd harmonic of 2kHz) rather than 3 kHz?
You get both third and fourth. The 4th is another 46dB or so down, or about
138 dB down from the fundamental. I felt safe ignoring it. ;-)
I think that the third harmonic is actually due to the modulation of the DC
term from the first time through. The fourth harmonic is the second harmonic
of the second harmonic, of course.
Where does this DC term come from ?

Graham
Arny Krueger
2007-08-21 13:16:31 UTC
Post by Eeyore
Post by Arny Krueger
Post by Robert Latest
Post by Arny Krueger
2 KHz tone that is about 46 dB down, and a 3 KHz tone that is about 92 dB
down.
Wouldn't you get 4 kHz (2nd harmonic of 2kHz) rather than 3 kHz?
You get both third and fourth. The 4th is another 46dB or so down, or about
138 dB down from the fundamental. I felt safe ignoring it. ;-)
I think that the third harmonic is actually due to the modulation of the DC
term from the first time through. The fourth harmonic is the second harmonic
of the second harmonic, of course.
Where does this DC term come from ?
A DC term is a natural consequence of a second order nonlinearity. Comes out
of the trig identity for X squared:

Sine squared(x) = 1/2 - 1/2 Cos (2x) = (1 - Cos (2x) ) /2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigonometric_identity#Power-reduction_formulae

Please see "Power-reduction formulae" for second and third orders. As I
recall the CRC tables have them for several orders beyond 3. Or, you can
derive them from the formulae for orders 2 and 3.
Mark
2007-08-20 19:46:20 UTC
Post by Eeyore
Post by Mark
Post by Eeyore
[...]
And I am saying NFB CANNOT create new higher harmonics.

OK maybe what you are thinking aobut is this. If you take an
amplifier without feedback and overdrive it to clipping, it will
compress softly (2nd and 3rd order). If you take the same amplifier
and add NFB to it and now overdrive it to clippiong, it will remain
linear until it clips hard and this creates more high order harmoincs
comapred to the first case.
If you are talking about gutiar amp output stages where you are
overdriving into clipping intentionally, yeah feedback will make the
amp linear until it hard clips and lots of high order products are
created. An amp without feddback will overdrive with softer
compression and less higher harmonics.

But this is comparing apples and oranges. If you operate both below
clipping, the amplifer with neg feedback will have less overall
distortion and less high order distortion.

So are you talking about amps that are intentionally overdriven or
amps that are operated in their linear range?

Mark
Bob Myers
2007-08-20 20:15:01 UTC
Post by Mark
Post by Eeyore
What is the case AIUI is that NFB can create 'new' (higher) harmonics that don't
exist with the open-loop situation. It's down to the maths of how feedback works.
Graham
And I am saying NFB CANNOT create new higher harmonics.
I'd like to see what Graham is using re the "maths of
how feedback works."

The complete result for a negative-feedback amplifier,
using the configuration typically shown for an
"inverting amp" application of an op-amp (but which
may be generalized to any amplifier) winds up
looking like this (assuming high enough input
impedance at the amplifier such that current into
that path is negligible):

Vout/Vin = Rf/[Rin(A-1)]

where A is the open-loop gain of the amp and Rf and
Rin are the feedback and input resistors, respectively.
Let A get big enough, and this simplifies to the more
common

Vout/Vin = -Rf/Rin

...but I sure don't see anything in the above which
would *necessarily* result in additional harmonics.
To be sure, in the practical case, the open-loop
gain of the amplifier is non-linear, but even then
you can clearly create an amplifier employing
negative feedback which does NOT "create new
harmonics" to an appreciably greater degree than its
open-loop cousin.

As a side note, it's really, REALLY hard to find any
practical amplifier design which doesn't involve
SOME negative feedback, somewhere - although it
may not be as easy to spot as in this case.

Bob M.
William Sommerwerck
2007-08-20 21:14:44 UTC
Post by Bob Myers
The complete result for a negative-feedback amplifier,
using the configuration typically shown for an
"inverting amp" application of an op-amp (but which
may be generalized to any amplifier) winds up
looking like this (assuming high enough input
impedance at the amplifier such that current into
Vout/Vin = Rf/[Rin(A-1)]
where A is the open-loop gain of the amp and Rf and
Rin are the feedback and input resistors, respectively.
Let A get big enough, and this simplifies to the more
common
Vout/Vin = -Rf/Rin
...but I sure don't see anything in the above which
would *necessarily* result in additional harmonics.
Because the mathematical model you're using doesn't include distortion!
Post by Bob Myers
To be sure, in the practical case, the open-loop
gain of the amplifier is non-linear, but even then
you can clearly create an amplifier employing
negative feedback which does NOT "create new
harmonics" to an appreciably greater degree than its
open-loop cousin.
How do you know that?
Many amplifiers include negative feedback, if only to stabilized local gain.
Arny Krueger
2007-08-20 21:04:04 UTC
Post by Mark
And I am saying NFB CANNOT create new higher harmonics.
But it can. However, if the NFB is working reasonably, the higher harmonics
are at vanishing low levels.
Post by Mark
OK maybe what you are thinking aobut is this. If you take an
amplifier without feedback and overdrive it to clipping, it will
compress softly (2nd and 3rd order).
That avoiding NFB necessarily leads to soft clipping is a myth.

NFB does do a nice job of making such clipping as might happen have sharper
corners.

Tubes saturating can be a little soft. Transistors saturating or cutting off
give pretty sharp corners.
Post by Mark
If you take the same amplifier
and add NFB to it and now overdrive it to clippiong, it will remain
linear until it clips hard and this creates more high order harmoincs
compared to the first case.
If the equipment is clipping, there are going to be plenty of higher
harmonics like 5,7 (presuming no P-P), even without NFB.
Agreed.
Scott Dorsey
2007-08-20 22:12:35 UTC
Post by Mark
And I am saying NFB CANNOT create new higher harmonics.
Sure it can. Just put something that creates harmonics in the feedback
path.

Negative feedback relies on the feedback path being linear and having
low group delay. If these aren't the case, bad things can happen.
--scott
m***@sushi.com
2007-08-21 05:31:18 UTC
Post by Scott Dorsey
Post by Mark
And I am saying NFB CANNOT create new higher harmonics.
Sure it can. Just put something that creates harmonics in the feedback
path.
Negative feedback relies on the feedback path being linear and having
low group delay. If these aren't the case, bad things can happen.
--scott
I'm not sure I'd bring group delay into the discussion. What you need
is phase margin.
Eeyore
2007-08-20 23:06:50 UTC
Post by Mark
Post by Eeyore
What is the case AIUI is that NFB can create 'new' (higher) harmonics that don't
exist with the open-loop situation. It's down to the maths of how feedback works.
And I am saying NFB CANNOT create new higher harmonics.
And it seems you are incorrect (at least when the amplifier having the feedback applied
has some non-linearity).

Graham
Mark
2007-08-21 01:13:10 UTC
Post by Eeyore
Post by Mark
Post by Eeyore
What is the case AIUI is that NFB can create 'new' (higher) harmonics that don't
exist with the open-loop situation. It's down to the maths of how feedback works.
And I am saying NFB CANNOT create new higher harmonics.
And it seems you are incorrect (at least when the amplifier having the feedback applied
has some non-linearity).
Graham
take something like crossover distortiuon for example...

in an open loop amp, crossover dist. creates lots of harmonics.

add neg feedback and they are all reduced. The high order ones are
not reduced AS MUCH as the low order ones, but they are certainly not
increased (assumming a proper design not on the verge of instability
and assuming the feedback componets themselves are linear, resistors
are usually linear for our purposes).

so after you add neg feedback the proportion of high order to low
order will change and realative to the low order there will be more
high order, but in absolute terms that are all reduced. Someone else
already said this so I am repeating...

I don't know how else to say it...
Mark
Eeyore
2007-08-21 02:16:16 UTC
Post by Mark
Post by Eeyore
Post by Mark
Post by Eeyore
What is the case AIUI is that NFB can create 'new' (higher) harmonics that don't
exist with the open-loop situation. It's down to the maths of how feedback works.
And I am saying NFB CANNOT create new higher harmonics.
And it seems you are incorrect (at least when the amplifier having the feedback applied
has some non-linearity).
take something like crossover distortiuon for example...
in an open loop amp, crossover dist. creates lots of harmonics.
add neg feedback and they are all reduced. The high order ones are
not reduced AS MUCH as the low order ones,
That's because of the falling loop gain with frequency of the amplifier. Not what I was
referring to.
Post by Mark
but they are certainly not
increased (assumming a proper design not on the verge of instability
and assuming the feedback componets themselves are linear, resistors
are usually linear for our purposes).
so after you add neg feedback the proportion of high order to low
order will change and realative to the low order there will be more
high order, but in absolute terms that are all reduced. Someone else
already said this so I am repeating...
I don't know how else to say it...
You've missed the point I was making entirely. Other posters have explained it better than
myself however.

Graham
MooseFET
2007-08-21 04:33:28 UTC
Post by Eeyore
Post by Mark
Post by Eeyore
Post by Mark
Post by Eeyore
What is the case AIUI is that NFB can create 'new' (higher) harmonics that don't
exist with the open-loop situation. It's down to the maths of how feedback works.
And I am saying NFB CANNOT create new higher harmonics.
And it seems you are incorrect (at least when the amplifier having the feedback applied
has some non-linearity).
take something like crossover distortiuon for example...
in an open loop amp, crossover dist. creates lots of harmonics.
add neg feedback and they are all reduced. The high order ones are
not reduced AS MUCH as the low order ones,
That's because of the falling loop gain with frequency of the amplifier. Not what I was
referring to.
.... plus the increasing phase lag. Must not forget that nasty
detail :>
Post by Eeyore
Post by Mark
but they are certainly not
increased (assumming a proper design not on the verge of instability
and assuming the feedback componets themselves are linear, resistors
are usually linear for our purposes).
so after you add neg feedback the proportion of high order to low
order will change and realative to the low order there will be more
high order, but in absolute terms that are all reduced. Someone else
already said this so I am repeating...
I don't know how else to say it...
You've missed the point I was making entirely. Other posters have explained it better than
myself however.
I tried my harmonic of the harmonic argument again. Sometimes it
works sometimes not.
Arny Krueger
2007-08-21 10:43:10 UTC
Post by MooseFET
I tried my harmonic of the harmonic argument again. Sometimes it
works sometimes not.
It all comes out if you do the math, which involves a few simple trig
identities.

It also comes out if you simulate it in Matlab or Audition/CEP. I did my
simulation in CEP using Edit, Mix, Paste and appropriate choice of the mix
and modulate options.

The same basic technique can be used to create music with controlled amounts
of various orders of added nonlinear distortion. Here is worked-out
example:

http://www.pcabx.com/technical/nonlinear/
MooseFET
2007-08-21 04:31:17 UTC
Post by Mark
Post by Eeyore
Post by Mark
Post by Eeyore
What is the case AIUI is that NFB can create 'new' (higher) harmonics that don't
exist with the open-loop situation. It's down to the maths of how feedback works.
And I am saying NFB CANNOT create new higher harmonics.
And it seems you are incorrect (at least when the amplifier having the feedback applied
has some non-linearity).
Graham
take something like crossover distortiuon for example...
No, I don't want crossover distortion.

How about thinking about a distortion that only adds, lets say the 2nd
harmonic to a sine wave. Think about what happens when that is
enclosed in a feedback loop. You take some of that second harmonic
from the output and feed it back into the input. The nonlinear
circuit takes the 2nd harmonic of the 2nd harmonic giving the forth
and sends that out the output. That forth comes back around and
around and around. A nonlinear cicrcuit that only made 2nd a harmonic
is now resulting in an infinite chain of frequencies.
Post by Mark
in an open loop amp, crossover dist. creates lots of harmonics.
add neg feedback and they are all reduced. The high order ones are
not reduced AS MUCH as the low order ones, but they are certainly not
increased (assumming a proper design not on the verge of instability
and assuming the feedback componets themselves are linear, resistors
are usually linear for our purposes).
This is not correct. You have to have an extraordinarily large phase
margin to not have a boost in the harmonic near the gain crossover.

If G is the forward gain from the point where the distortion is made
to the output and H is the rest feedback the math looks like:

G /(1 + GH)

Here's the very ugly bit:

The distortion is often created in the output section making the G
part unity or nearly so. A stable servo loop can have a phase margin
of 30 degrees.

1/(1 + 1 * 1@(180-30)) = 1/(1 - 0.866 + j0.5)

= 1/(0.134 + j0.5)

Take ABS()

ABS(1/(0.134 + j0.5)) = 1/sqrt(0.134^2 + 0.5^2) = 1.93

Even though this amplifier is very stable, the feedback loop doubles
the amplitude of the harmonic near the gain crossover.
Les Cargill
2007-08-21 05:51:41 UTC
Post by MooseFET
Post by Mark
Post by Eeyore
Post by Mark
[...]
So for audio, put the gain crossover way out of band. Right?

Les Cargill
MooseFET
2007-08-21 13:27:45 UTC
Post by Les Cargill
Post by MooseFET
Post by Mark
Post by Eeyore
Post by Mark
[...]
That tends to happen if you have a high amount of feedback at the
normal audio frequencies. You want to put the gain crossover high and
use a large amount of feedback so it works out nicely.
D from BC
2007-08-21 06:08:42 UTC
Post by MooseFET
Post by Mark
Post by Eeyore
Post by Mark
Post by Eeyore
[...]
[snip]

Cool...
Maybe call it a distortion loop. :P

+-<<<--------------------------------------<+
| |
sine>--summation-------nonlinear transfer (inverting)->+

Not completely containing a signal to cancel out the
nonlinear transfer. So some 2nd harmonic gets to pass through the
nonlinear transfer again to make...the 4th....and so and so on..
(IIRC that would be the harmonic generation sequence for a 2nd order
nonlinear transfer.)

Take 2 tone and then there's the intermodulation products.
What a painful thing to think about... :(

Significant magnitudes???

Cheerleader in electronics...
"2,4,6,8 what distortion do I hate."

D from BC
MooseFET
2007-08-21 13:37:32 UTC
On Aug 20, 11:08 pm, D from BC <***@comic.com> wrote:
[.....]
Post by D from BC
Cool...
Maybe call it a distortion loop. :P
+-<<<--------------------------------------<+
| |
sine>--summation-------nonlinear transfer (inverting)->+

Not completely containing a signal to cancel out the
nonlinear transfer. So some 2nd harmonic gets to pass through the
nonlinear transfer again to make...the 4th....and so and so on..
(IIRC that would be the harmonic generation sequence for a 2nd order
nonlinear transfer.)
Take 2 tone and then there's the intermodulation products.
What a painful thing to think about... :(
Now add some noise and follow it around. I'm sure your head will
explode. You will discover that the signal modulates the noise and
intermixes with it. The peak in the noise near the gain cross over
gets mixed down with the harmonics of the signal that also land
there. If you make many very accurate frequency measurements on the
signal after the signal has been through such a process, you will find
that there is an increased low frequency modulation of the signal.
Post by D from BC
Significant magnitudes???
If it can be measured it can be called significant. Someone will
care.
D from BC
Mark
2007-08-21 14:43:10 UTC
Post by MooseFET
[.....]

Post by D from BC
Cheerleader in electronics...
"2,4,6,8 what distortion do I hate."
D from BC- Hide quoted text -
Is this the article?

http://stereophile.com/news/10065/

Someone mentioned a perfect second order ONLY device that open loop
produces ONLY 2x. When you put neg feedback around it you could get
the "harmonic of the harmonic" i.e. 4th harmonic which wasn't there
before. OK maybe in this special case. But this is a theoretical
math excersize then, any practical device that has a second order non-
linearity will also have high order terms and the neg feedback will
reduce those.

If you start with a hypothetical perfect 2nd order device, I MIGHT be
ready to concede that neg feedback might produce some small level of
4th order that wasn't there before. Someone needs to simulate this
case.

This may be an interesting mental exersize, but it has very little
connection to actual practice. In practice using any REAL amplifer,
neg feedback REDUCES all the harmonics. (another exception someone
mentioned would be those harmonics near the gain crossover frequency
if the neg feedback causes the gain to peak a few dB then the harmonic
could also be increased a few dB. Again in paractice, this is well
above 20 kHz. If there is any large amount of peaking, then the
system is only marginally stable.

Neg feedback is your friend.

Mark

Mark
Mark
2007-08-21 15:48:59 UTC
Post by Mark
If you start with a hypothetical perfect 2nd order device, I MIGHT be
ready to concede that neg feedback might produce some small level of
4th order that wasn't there before. Someone needs to simulate this
case.
OK I ran the sim...yes you are correct adding neg feedback to a
perfect 2nd order device creates higher order harmonics 3rd 4th etc
that were not there before.

Some PSPICE code for those that want to play....

Neg Feedback Amp does neg feedback create high order distortion

.TRAN 1uS 10ms

*transient analysis sine wave
Vin 1 0 Sin(0 1 1KHz)

Eamp 2 0 poly(1) (1,2) 0 100 -10 ;with 100% neg feedback
*Eamp 2 0 poly(1) (1,0) 0 100 -10 ;with NO neg feedback

Rloadin 1 0 600
Rloadout 2 0 600

.probe

.end

Small amounts of feedback created the most distortion. As I increased
the closed loop gain, as expceted all the distortion levels were
reduced.

In most any real amplifier, there will be high order non-linearities
in the device and adding neg feedback will reduce them. (with the
exceptions near the crossover frequency noted in the previous post)

Thank you for the interesting observation.

Mark

Paul Stamler
2007-08-21 07:24:30 UTC
Dammit, I've got that paper around here *someplace*.

The paper I'm referring to is by an English author, I think not Reg
Williamson and I think not Self, showing the generation of higher harmonics
on the application of moderate amounts of feedback in a simple FET circuit
which produces only low-order harmonics without feedback. As the feedback is
increased the high harmonics get smaller; they're at their worst in
low-feedback circuits. The measurements were real, not simulations.

Meanwhile, as I looked for that $%^$# article, I found this:

www.ucop.edu/research/micro/98_99/98_074.pdf

It's a theoretical discussion of the generation of higher-order IM products
in feedback amps. The theory is supplemented by simulations, but
unfortunately not by real-world measurements, and the authors note that
their models are oversimplified. Still interesting reading as a possible
stimulus to further work. In their model FETs behave worse than BJTs,
tubes -- sometimes -- behave a bit better than FETs.

Meanwhile, can anyone help my blocked memory? Who the hell wrote that paper?

Peace,
Paul
Arny Krueger
Really? I see an article about sample-and-holds, and the like.
john jardine
2007-08-21 12:15:33 UTC
Post by Paul Stamler
Dammit, I've got that paper around here *someplace*.
Meanwhile, can anyone help my blocked memory? Who the hell wrote that paper?
Peace,
Paul
Baxendall? in Wireless world magazine about 35 years ago.
Seem to remember the example was a diff amp pair. Article hinged on power
series expansions.